675g Caster Sugar
500ml Double Cream
1 Handful of White Chocolate
1tsp of Glucose syrup
1 Vanilla Pod - optional
1. Put ALL ingredients except the White Chocolate into a good heavy saucepan! For the Vanilla pod, lay it flat on Chopping board, and run a sharp knife down the center of the Pod, split the pod in two and scrape out the hundreds of moist dense seeds from each half, add to the mixture! Grease and Line a baking tin ready to pour fudge in once cooled!)
2. Place saucepan on a VERY VERY low heat for the beginning stage! ( You want to dissolve all the sugar crystals before it comes to the boil! Look for a smooth liquid texture without any Graininess at all!)
3. Once sugar is dissolved, and you have a beautiful buttery, creamy golden sugar syrup, Increase the heat until it comes to Rapid Boil! (Keep stirring constantly or that cream in there will burn at the bottom of your pan and ruin your beautiful Fudge!)
Continue to boil and stir for 15-18 minutes!
4.'Soft Ball stage' (Beautiful Golden Thick Honey colour). It will be approximately between 112-115°C. Check its all reduced, a Deep Golden color, Thick yet smooth like Set Honey! ?
5. Remove Fudge from heat once you feel you got the Beautiful Golden Thick Honey Syrup and put to one side!
6.You'll need a Cake/Pastry Mixer or you can do this by hand with whisk and bowl! Pour Fudge into Mixer or bowl and begin to beat! (people simply pour the fudge into tray and cool once cooked! This is WRONG! You need to cool the fudge slowly all the while beating it to give it that wonderful Smooth yet Crystaline texture!)
7. Cooling/Beating should take at least 10-15 min, all the while you'll see your fudge come into life as it begins to cool! About 5 minutes into the Cooling process..add the handful of White Chocolate while the fudge is hot enough to incorporate but not TOO hot to burn the Chocolate! (White Chocolate is very delicate and subtle!)
8. Now it should be getting quite cool by now before it starts completely setting, Spoon/Spatula the fudge mixture into your pre greaseproofed tin and smooth out so the mix lies flat (or you can always experiment with bread tins etc for different shapes :-)
9. Leave to cool out of the sunlight for at least 4-6 hours, (its best 36hrs after and lasts for 5-7 days after making!)
Mohan Thal (gram flour fudge)
- 2 cups Gram flour (Besan) aka Chickpea flour
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter or ghee
- 1 tablespoon warm milk
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1 cup milk powder
- 1 teaspoon cardamom seed powder
- 1 1/4 cup Sugar
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 tablespoons sliced almonds
- Candy Thermometer
- Melt the butter and mix with gram flour by rubbing between both palms. Texture will become like a lightly rough powder. Keep aside for at least fifteen minutes.
- Add the milk. Milk should be warm, and rub the mixture again between your both palms.
- Next put the cream and milk powder in a frying pan and cook on medium heat. String continuously until mixture comes together and looks like soft dough. Remove from heat and keep aside.
- Mix the milk dough with gram flour mixture togather and stir fry on medium heat until it becomes light brown in color and start giving off a sweet aroma. Tips: stir fry continuously making sure it stays powdery.
- Let it cool and add cardamom powder mix it well.
- In a saucepan, boil the sugar and water together on medium heat until syrup is 2 threads or 225 degrees F on a candy thermometer.
- Mix the syrup with flour mixture mix well and pour on a 8 inch greased plate. Do this quickly before syrup cools down.
- Mohanthal should be about ½ inch thick and shape it into a square shape on the plate. While it is still hot spread the sliced almonds evenly over the top to garnish.
- Cut the mohanthal into 1-inch square shapes while it is still warm.
- Serve at room temperature. At room temperature mohanthal can be kept for 2 weeks or refrigerate for a month.