1 x tablespoon = 20ml and 1 cup = 250g
110g dark chocolate
70g milk chocolate
120g butter (if using unsalted butter, add 1/8 teaspoon fine table salt with the butter)
100ml (5 tablespoons) water
2 teaspoons (10ml) whisky
1/2 teaspoon instant coffee granules/powder
75g (1/3 cup) sugar
1 large egg (we use eggs with a minimum weight of 59g)
80g (1/2 cup plus 2 teaspoons) plain flour
20g (1 1/2 tablespoons) self-raising flour
1. Preheat oven to 160 degrees Celsius (fan-forced). Line a patty tin with seven patty cases that measure 5cm across the base.
2. Place dark and milk chocolate, butter, water, whisky, coffee, and sugar in a large saucepan.
3. Stir over very low heat until chocolate and butter have just melted. Remove from heat and set aside to cool for 10 minutes.
4. When mixture has cooled, stir in egg. Gradually stir in flours.
5. Divide mixture evenly between cases.
6. Bake for about 25 minutes. A skewer or knife inserted into the centre of a cake should come out clean.
7. Allow cakes to cool in tin.
Milk Chocolate Ganache
100g milk chocolate
2 tablespoons (40ml) thickened cream (35 percent fat)
Place chocolate and cream in a small saucepan over very low heat, stirring frequently. When chocolate has melted and mixture is smooth, remove from heat and allow to cool to room temperature. Spread ganache over cooled cupcakes.