Thursday, June 16, 2011

Gugelhupf

Gugelhupf - finished result,
When I came across a recipe for Gugelhupf the other day, I just knew that I had to give it a whirl! Gugelhupf is one of those nostalgia cakes for me. I have fond memories of my father buying it occasioanlly from a local patisserie. I have fond memories of buying it from the same patisserie for my husband when we first started dating. It is a fond memory cake :)


Ingredients
Melted butter, to grease
1 + 3/4 cups icing sugar
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1 tsp vanilla sugar
3 eggs, separated
2 cups self-raising flour
1/2 cup milk
2 tbs cocoa powder
1 tbs milk, extra
Icing sugar, to dust

Method
Preheat oven to 180°C. Brush a gugelhupf pan (Fluted Ring Tin) with melted butter (I use Rice Bran oil spray) to lightly grease.
Use an electric beater to beat the icing sugar, oil and vanilla sugar until smooth. Add the egg yolks and mix until just combined. Mix in half the flour, then half the milk. Repeat with the remaining flour and milk, and mix until well combined.
Use an electric beater to whisk the egg whites in a clean, dry bowl until soft peaks form. Gently fold half the egg white into the cake mixture. Fold in the remaining egg white until just combined.
Spoon half the cake mixture into the prepared pan. Combine cocoa and extra milk in a small bowl. Stir into remaining cake mixture until combined. Spoon into pan. Use a round-bladed knife to fold together cake mixtures until marbled.
Bake in preheated oven for 1 hour or until a skewer inserted in the centre of the cake comes out clean (50 minutes at 160 fan forced was perfect for me). Remove from oven and turn onto a wire rack to cool slightly. Dust with icing sugar. Serve warm or at room temperature.

No comments: