Okay, thought I'd get on the bandwagon and post up a recipe a week ...
here is my first contribution .... It looks more complicated than it is ... Im just an asshole when it comes to giving instruction : )
Chocolate Crunch Slice
200g Butter, melted (you must use butter, do not substitute for margarine or oil)
1/2 Cup Brown Sugar (firmly packed measurement)
1 + 1/4 Cups Plain Flour
3/4 Cup Dessicated Coconut
2 Cups Cornflakes (you can substitute Rice Bubble/Weetbix or other plain flavour cereal)
2 Heaped Tablespoons Cocoa Powder
1 Teaspoon vanilla essence
Method- Preheat oven to 180 deg (160 deg fan forced)
- Mix all the dry ingredients together in a large bowl, making sure to rub out any large clumps of flour/sugar/coconut.
- Add melted butter and vanilla and mix well (by hand) until it is all a lovely brown colour.
- Press into a greased swiss roll/slice tin (not tool large a tin).
- Bake for 30 minutes.
- Set on wire rack (in slice tin still) and make the ganache topping.
- Pour topping on while slice is still warm.
- Put into fridge to set for one hour (may require longer, just depends).
- Cut into fingers/squares when set and remove from tin : )
Chocolate Ganache Icing
4 Tablespoons of Thickened Cream
2 Tablespoons of Icing Sugar
200-300grams of decent quality Chocolate (break it up into individual squares)
Method- Heat cream and icing sugar in either a water bath (glass or metal bowl on top of a saucepan with water on stove top) or straight on stovetop at a very low heat (DO NOT BOIL).
- Mix together well, crushing out any lumps from the icing sugar.
- Start adding the chocolate squares, stirring as you go ... once all added, just keep stirring until you have a nice thick, smooth and glossy chocolate sauce (make sure there are no lumps of chocolate).
- Pour over the slice and smooth out evenly to edges.
- Set aside to cool.
NB: for a harder icing, use more chocolate and less cream, eg. 350g choc and 2 tablespoons cream.
NB: Use only metal and glass when working with chocolate and make sure no water comes into contact with it.