|Gingerbread people, butterflies, batman signal and tarantulas! As per children request.|
The recipe is originally from Taste.com.au
I found this to be one of the best icing recipes (for cookies) that I have come across. The recipe itself is lovely. Next time I make it I will also do an adult batch with some chilli added :)
- Melted butter, to grease
- 125g butter, at room temperature
- 100g (1/2 cup, firmly packed) brown sugar
- 125ml (1/2 cup) golden syrup
- 1 egg, separated
- 375g (2 1/2 cups) plain flour
- 1 tbs ground ginger
- 1 tsp mixed spice
- 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- Plain flour, to dust
- 150g (1 cup) pure icing sugar, sifted
- 8-10 drops red liquid food colouring
- 8-10 drops green liquid food colouring
- Smarties, to decorate
- Preheat oven to 180°C. Brush 2 baking trays with melted butter to lightly grease.
- Use an electric beater to beat the butter and sugar in a bowl until pale and creamy. Add the golden syrup and egg yolk and beat until combined. Stir in the flour, ginger, mixed spice and bicarbonate of soda. Turn onto a lightly floured surface and knead until smooth. Press dough into a disc. Cover with plastic wrap and place in the fridge for 30 minutes to rest.
- Meanwhile, place egg white in a clean, dry bowl. Use an electric beater to beat until soft peaks form. Gradually add icing sugar and beat until stiff peaks form. Divide icing among 3 bowls. Cover 1 bowl with plastic wrap and place in the fridge. Add red colouring to 1 bowl and stir until combined. Add green colouring to remaining bowl and stir until combined. Cover with plastic wrap and place in the fridge.
- Place the dough between 2 sheets of baking paper and roll out until about 4mm thick. Use a 9cm gingerbread man cutter to cut out shapes. Place on trays about 3cm apart. Repeat with any excess dough.
- Bake in oven for 10 minutes or until brown. Remove from oven. Transfer to a rack to cool.
- Place prepared icings in small plastic bags. Cut a small hole in a corner of each bag. Pipe icing over gingerbread men to decorate. Finish with Smarties.