not my pictureI Love Cherries! So, having just come across this recipe ... I am posting it here for safe keeping till I can get around to making it :)
I may try making it with black cherries soaked in brandy :)
To make it you need alcohol (brandy, coconut rum, amaretto, whatever you prefer) to soak the cherries in. Soak the cherries atleast a few days before you make the cake.
500g Cherries (pitted)
200g Sugar, caster sugar
4 eggs (yolks and whites split)
Rind of a lemon
Pinch of Salt
250g SR Flour
2 tbsp milk
Icing sugar to sprinkle
1. Preheat the oven to 200 degrees celcius.
2. Mix the butter, sugar and salt together til it looks creamy.
3. Add the egg yolks, one at a time.
4. Mix in the flour slowly, bit by bit, alternating with the milk.
5. In a separate bowl, fluff the egg white til stiff peaks form. Fold that whiteness into the mixture! And don't be rough, ruffian!
6. Pour half of the mixture into a well greased tin, then add a layer of cherries, and add the remaining mixture.
7. Bake the sucker for 55 minutes or until golden.
8. Once it's cooled, sprinkle the icing sugar on top and serve.